Happy Sugar Cookie Day!
July 9th is National Sugar Cookie Day! Here's to one of our favorite holidays! Check out our frosting-friendly collection of baking accessories & recipes from the ladies of Amani ya Juu! Baking is a perfect way to keep kiddos busy this summer with hours of sweet treats. Here are some of our favorite sugar cookie tips, tricks, and recipes from Amani Chattanooga, where our US warehouse is located!
Our favorite Sugar Cookie recipe
Recipe makes 4 dozen
2 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* we obviously recommend fair trade for all ingredients when possible! Try your local health food store or Whole Foods!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
We found this recipe at allrecipes.com. It has been thoroughly tested and approved by Amani staff!
Our Sugar Cookie Tips and Tricks
Valuable Sugar Cookie advice from Amani Chattanooga Photographer/Event Planner/Master Baker, Molly Gardner
- Try using a dash of almond extract in addition to vanilla. It will add a depth to the flavor of the cookies. Just warn nut allergic folk of its addition. :)
- For the best sugar cookie glaze, heat 1 Tbsp butter + 1/2 tsp of an extract of your choice (vanilla, almond, mint, orange, etc...) in a saucepan with the called for liquid ingredients. Better yet, substitute heavy cream for whatever the recipe is calling for. Bring everything to just simmering and whisk in the sugar, etc...
- Keep the dough COLD. Cold ingredients (butter, eggs, etc..). CHILLED after mixing and before rolling out (it helps to pat into flattened disks to ease the rolling process). Cold once cut out and put in the oven. The only time they should be warm is when next to a glass of COLD milk. ;)
Try using a dash of almond extract in addition to vanilla.
Keep the frosting off your frock with this handmade apron from Amani Kenya!
Bake your sweet treats in style! Original batiked design on 100% cotton.