A samosa is a triangular savory pastry fried in oil, containing spiced vegetables or meat. This treat originated in India, but it has become very popular in many other parts of the world---especially in East Africa! Check out our recipe for these tasty treats!
Shailaja Samosa Recipe
1 pound ground beef ( or you can substitute chicken or turkey)
1/2 - 1 small onion chopped
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. red pepper lime wedges
You can also add:
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 green pepper - diced small
3 cloves garlic
Ingredients for wrappers:
Makes 16 wrappers
Buy Commercial Egg or Spring Roll, or you can make the wraps homemade
2 cup flour
1 tsp. oil
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup of water
Brush with oil before rolling
- Sauté onions till soft
- Add the meat and cook until brown, & add all other ingredients.
- Mix dough, knead & let sit (I also think an egg/spring roll wrapper would taste good as well).
- Roll out into balls of dough. Roll each flat into a circle.
- Fill wrapper with 2 scoops of meat filling - only 1/2 of the circle - then fold over to look like its a dumpling, and crimp the edges.
- Fry in oil until golden brown